Apr 1, 2012

Favorite Fiction

I'd love to curl up with some really good books this spring/summer while writing my novel. Looking for posts from anyone who would like to share their five favorite fiction reads. I enjoy reading mainstream fiction, current best sellers, and of course, the classics. Not much "commercial fiction" in my library, but who can resist genius Stephen King! My personal preference is a blend of women's fiction with other genres. I hate the idea of boxing books up into one genre. Anne Tyler, Jodi Picoult and Anita Shreve are a few favorites. However, any good coming of age novel or one focusing on social pressure or family and moral issues usually holds my interest.

If you write, read what you write, right? Right! I can't even imagine trying to write a romance or science fiction novel. It would be a huge waste of time - disaster! - and I'd be no better off for having done it.



A few books on my summer reading list are:


The Weight of Water by Anita Shreve
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult


This summer you won't find me with a Kindle or e-book. Can you really curl up with a Kindle? Wouldn't that be like trying to hug a goldfish? Give me the real thing (preferably hard back), a cozy chair or hammock, and good lighting. I want a story to own itself. It needs to have its own space, not shared by anything else but the reader. Stories are like people. They are individual and have names and lives going on inside their covers.

Well, more on that subject later...

I look forward to hearing from you with your five favorite works of fiction!








2 comments:

  1. If you haven't read the Hunger Games, you'd better get with it. Seriously, those were the most captivating books I've ever read right from the get-go. You have to at least read a chapter or two before giving judgment -- if you haven't already read it of course. The other book I got completely lost in was The Help. I read the book then saw the movies (including the Twilight Series which I refused to read for years until my daughter finally bought me the first book at a yard sale and made me read it. I was hooked ... but not as much as the Hunger Games.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I purchased The Help a couple months back; still haven't read it, but plan on it! So you liked the Hunger Games? Is is a series of books or only one?

      Delete